Thursday, September 16, 2010

Spy-tastic!

On Monday September 13, STAC watched the second episode in The Prisoner series. All I have to say is wow. At first I was liking this show but it was definitely not completely convinced. Now watching this second episode I am extremely excited to watch more! Honestly, what really got me was that it was a complete cycle of events where Patrick MaGoohan's character number 6 is totally fooled and tricked into this guile yet well thought out plan. Luke today said the British were very tricky with sneaking so it reminded me of this show because of what the British government would have gone through to get this information. I was always suspicious of the escape because it seemed to be going so well so at the moment when number 6 noticed the watch malfunction I knew it wasn't going to end well. Also that bubble is really starting to get on my nerves. It is indestructible and seems to always pop out when nothing else can stop them. I really liked Leo McKern as the character of number 2 because he brought a different aspect and was generally more interesting to watch.

On a side note, Tuesday I was absent because I wasn't feeling well and I wanted to make sure I was well enough for later on in the afternoon. It was the first day of a program I am doing in the city for an organization called the All- Stars Project. Here they organize many events that go on through all 5 Burroughs. Their main purpose started back in the 80s where they wanted to help keep kids out of trouble and started a talent show to keep them busy and entertained. However the program began with political progressors in the 60s, and throughout the communist era I might add, where these political "radicals" wanted to basically "change the world" in not having racism and cruelty, treating others as inferior.. etc. Beginning with Jews like Dr. Dan Friedman and Dr. Fred Newman who had family histories of being racially discriminated as Jews in Europe and later on to the black community with Dr. Lenora Fulani who actually was the first African American Woman on the ballot in every 50 states to run for president in 1988 under the New Alliance Party. These political progressors although creators of the All-Stars Project, do not want the political independent views to be combined with these programs because it pretty much gives the image that they are trying to brainwash these kids into becoming independents however, it is actually a difficult subject to ignore. On Tuesday we had a guest speak Dan Friedman come in and speak about the All-Stars Project and all of this information was exposed. It was great to be exposed and got a taste of this often avoided subject on Long Island  of being Independent. I still need to hear more and truly understand what it means to be democratic or republican to even think about affiliating myself to one of these parties...

    Anyways, this program I am specifically involved in is called the Development School For Youth or the Leadership Program. Being that this program began with actors (Dr. Dan Friedman talked about his youth performing political plays on the streets of Brooklyn at the age of 19 and Dr. Fred Newman has written numerous plays) much of the earlier programs of the All-Stars project are based on acting- Youth Onstage! for example where kids perform a number of plays throughout the season, and this Leadership Program too has roots with acting. It is meant to teach us how to act and be professional. The professional world is a stage in which our characters must act differently than perhaps our normal selves. We all wear professional attire to the meetings which are once a week and learn to ask intellectual and curious questions and so much more which I have not discovered yet.. it was only the first day.. Generally it went really well and seemed really cool to meet new people and experience this professional aspect. I'm excited for next week!

Today Thursday, we played a pretty awesome spy game, although it was very long it got interesting when I became an agent. It was so crazy how we all just agree on someone to kill off it kind of reminded me of Salem Witch Trials or something where one just made accusations just so no one would think it was them. There were 2 tactics when being an agent to save your ass either talk a lot or don't talk at all. I do wish I could have observed everyone else as a dead person but overall being in the game and alive was much more exhilarating.

STAC for me is going incredibly well and I'm really excited for the rest of the year! I'm so glad I Finally joined.

1 comment:

  1. Great post. Thanks for explaining the All-Stars Project. It sounds wonderful and fun.

    I love Leo McKern. He manages to be scary and funny at the same time. And it never occurred to me, until you mentioned it, that OF COURSE the British would come up with a sneaky show.

    Look up Noor Inayat Khan. She's fascinating. And so brave.

    ReplyDelete