Monday, September 27, 2010

Limited Space

     Like most people, I too had difficultly understanding and discovering what exactly psychogeography of limited space truly meant. Psychogeography is a difficult concept to grasp; it is more so is adding the ideas of limited space. At first I focused on the more obvious meaning that I had figured from what I pieced together from the information I was already given. I took a picture of a hole in a red fence ooutside my house and meant it to focus on the fact that this was a small space. Then later on looking through the pictures, I noticed that it actually had more meaning to it becuase I had focused on what was in this space between the hole and the fact that the trees that could be seen through the hole and stood as a barrier between red fence and red fence. Also looking even closer, it can be seen that there is a limited space between the trees. It reminds me of a mirror reflecting on mirror which in turn relfects on that same mirror creating a chain that is never ending. There is this limited space all around us that goes unnoticed.
     Another different and still ultimalty same example was of a yellow street light. When I was walking home, waiting for the light to change, I considered the concept of yellow lights. They are literaly in between red and green, which both have very distinct meanings: stop and go. On the other hand, yellow has an uncertain meaning. It can me go but quickly, stop but slowly. To careful drivers it means stop and to more daring drivers it means go. Because I just took my permit test earlier in the summer it reminded me of the word yield. I could never truly find a firm and certain definition of what it mean to yield. Yes, one can say it means to be alert and watchful but the confusion comes on how to do this. Every driver should be alert and watchful but yield is so vague. It is not clear like a stop sign which therefore means one doesn't neccesarily have to stop. Yes, you should let others go first when at a yield sign but shouldn't you always be aware of others around you. I found this to be the area inbetween, the gray area, which I thought completly applied to psychogeography of limited space inbetween things. It's that space of knowlegde that can never be fully explained or understood much like the word psychogeography itself.
     Throughout the process taking pictures, it is evident that I discovered more about this conecpt, however, I can definitly not say that I fully understand it and even less explain it to someone else. I can say that I know more than before and have a firm idea or start of what it means.
     The rule of thirds helped me to not only practice photography and not simple snapshots, but it also helped me to stay focused. It allowed my brain to think about each picture for a longer period of time. It also made me see what I really wanted to take. At one point I just looked at a room for a while and finally decided nothing looked the way I really wanted it to feel. I had to get that feeling of satisfaction and comprehension of how the picture related to limited space during the time I was looking through the lens and after I took the picture.
    









    

1 comment: