Thursday, September 9, 2010

First Week (couple of days) of STAC

   I found this theme of spys and secret agents throughout the week quite entertaining. Watching the Prisoner I really loved the idea of The Village where everything seems so normal to the people there but in reality creates this bizarre and creepy feeling on Patrick McGoohan and everyone watching the show.
     Later on in the day after school I ended up wanting to watch a film and when choosing what to watch I think my mind subconsciously choose an Austin Powers movie perhaps because this theme is really sticking with me and my decisions. Anyway, beginning with it's own catchy theme song I noted the similarities throughout the movie. In this way I watched it in a way I never truly had before. I read that Mike Myer's who plays Austin Powers and producers/ wrote the movies is Canadian with parents from Liverpool, England. This is probably why he was able to play this character so well, because he had a significant connection. Because the movie was meant to be a parody of James Bond and other 1960s inspired spy series I won't go into each specific detail about the similarities however there were two things I noticed that actually connect with The Prisoner series we watched in STAC that weren't apparent to me previously.
     Austin Powers has an inclination to use the word danger and being referred to with danger. Looking at some research on the Prisoner, I found that Patrick McGoohan's Secret Agent Man series was actually originally called Danger Man in Britain.
     Number Two in both Austin Powers and The Prisoner is an important character however plays different roles. Perhaps it is just a coincidence yet I found the connection to be quite intriguing. Number Two in The Prisoner is this cryptic character which in giving more information to the plot, makes one even more urging for information. With this Number Two leading the operation to find more about Patrick McGoohan's character, also unnamed (only by a number: six), many questions come to mind: Why are there no names? Why did "number six" resign? Why does everyone else go along with this "prison" and where they in the same situation as him? And finally where is number one? I really was confused yet interested in the show more when number two was replaced.
    
     With this show I almost don't know what to expect exemplified by things like the random white blob thing and the interesting people he meets in the Village, but I am anxious to see how it will all pan out.

1 comment:

  1. I love the fact you researched The Prisoner and Patrick McGoohan AND connected it to Austin Powers - the people who made Austin Powers definitely new about Danger Man/Secret Agent Man, as well as The Prisoner and all the James Bond movies. There was an English animated kids show for a long time called "Danger Mouse." Her was a spy! The English are all about spying and whatnot - during WWII they were way ahead of the US in terms of using spies, tactics, etc. They're actually quite ruthless...

    ReplyDelete