Thursday, May 3, 2012

Monologues

Last Sunday I saw a Spanish performance at Repertorio Espanol. It was called En El Tiempo De Las Mariposas which means In The Time Of The Butterflies. The play is based on the book written by Julia Alvarez which is about the 3 Mirabel sisters who were brutally murdered under the Trujillo reigeme in the Domincan Republic. The play has 6 female characters and one male (who plays various small roles). I understood the show in Spanish and I thought it was well done. Each actress was different in the way she acted, perhaps training and experience. They were all dominant in Spanish. I liked the way this actress Dalia David acted and she seemed to be most similar in the way I do. I later found that she has worked in a lot of TV and Film and sometimes in English. Whereas another actress Zulema Clares is a very Latin American trained actress. I really enjoyed Ines Garcia's performance as The youngest daughter. I felt she acted the most real and interesting to watch. I really want to copy her style. These past few days I have been working on a monologue from La Casa De Bernada Alba of the youngest daughter standing up for herself to her older sister. In a way the two parts of the youngest daughter have become a theme for me as the only daughter. I can see how the idea of wanting to be free keeps coming up. Also in both plays the girl wants to do something in her future. Perhaps for my final project I will find various monologues that have to deal with the idea of being young. The Garcia is the old times, a later generation. I should probably get one from my generation in Enlgish and a middle one that switches from English to Spanish.

No comments:

Post a Comment