Monday, May 7, 2012

The monologue

Here is the monologue I am working on. I took a section of Adela's lines while speaking to her sister Martirio about her love for Pepe el Romano and its effect on herself and her family when is choosing to marry her older sister because she has the most dowry. I have included the translation that might sound awkward at times because the Enlgish does not match up with the Spanish that well but I wanted to keep true to the text as much as possible so that I can understand what each sentence and word really meant. I found translating the text was a lot like preparing a Shakespeare monologue because I would have to look up certain words, phrases and references. The metaphors only make sense and sound lovely in the Shakespeare text while in regular English they sound a bit wierd and confusing to explain.
Adela
La Casa de Bernarda Alba: Federico Garcia-Lorca

Esto no es mas que el comienzo. / He tenido fuerza para adelantarme. El brio y el merito que tu no tienes. He visto la muerte debayo de estos techos y he salido a buscar lo que era mio, lo que me pertenecia. El vino por el dinero, pero sus ojos los puso siempre en mi. Sabes major que yo que no la quiera a Angustias. Sabes, por que lo has visto, que me quiere a mi. Me quiere a mi. Me quiere a mi. / Por eso procuras que no vaya con el. No te importa quel abrace a la que no quiere. Ya puede estar cien anos con Angustias, pero que me abrace a mi se te hace terrible, porque tu lo quieres tambien, lo quieres. / Martirio, Martirio, yo no tengo la culpa. Aqui no hay ningun remedio. La que tenga que ahorgarse que se ahogue. / Pepe el Romano es mio. El me lleva a los juncos de la orilla. Ya no aguanto el horror de estos techos despues de haber probado el sabor de su boca. Sere lo que el quiera que sea. / Todo el pueblo contra mi quemandome con sus dedos de lumbre. Perseguida por los que dicen que son decentes, y me ponder la corona de espinas que tienen las que son queridas de algun hombre casado.

 -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Adela
The House of Bernarda Alba: Federico Garcia-Lorca

This is nothing more than the beginning. / I have had the strength to advance myself. The intelligence and merit that you do not have. I’ve seen death underneath these roofs and I’ve left to look for what was mine, what belonged to me. He came for the money but his eyes, he put them always on me. You know more than I that he doesn’t love Angustias. You know this because you have seen that he loves me. He loves me. He loves me. / Because of this you say I should not go with him. It doesn’t matter to you if he kisses another that he doesn’t love. He can be with Angustias for one hundred years but if he kisses me, it becomes terrible for you, because you love him too, you love him. / Martirio, Martirio, I am not guilty.  Here, there is no solution. The one that must drown herself, let her drown. / Pepe el Romano is mine. He takes me to the end of the cliff.  I can no longer stand the horror of these roofs after having tasted the taste of his lips. I will be whatever he wants me to be. / The whole town against me, burning me with their fingers of fire. Followed by those who have conformed, and they will put on me a crown of thorns like those for the women who love a married man.

No comments:

Post a Comment