Sunday, April 1, 2012

Acting Intensive Quarter 3


Pertaining to this specific acting class I see that I am able to use the techniques of part 1: objectives and tactics in my scene with Kalli directed by Ilana. I am able to apply the techniques at the start but do find myself moving away from them which is normal. I started off with an objective but I really could not stick with it my mind wandered to other things and I did not feel natural to think about an objective while also trying work off my partner. This would be the clash of using intellectual techniques and using more a “the Method” thinking. I do like that there are many ways to approach the situation and I can see how perhaps using many will help in the end but I can not say that I have reached a complete understanding of it all so I can use the techniques in a seemingly simple and certain way.
Part 2: I do enjoy using Meisner technique more but after this class I see that there must be a combination of pure working off the scene and what you have with a sense of preparation going into the scene. It is also much harder to learn lines if they have no meaning whatsoever, as we did one day in the 2nd week of training. Working with unknown and forgiving text (I say forgiving because there were monologues that we kept repeating and trying out new ways so that a screw up was not a big deal) was more physically and mentally tiring but also more difficult to retain. The key was to ignore the words being said and instead put inflections based on thoughts. I suppose this is more interesting for viewers but not completely living truthfully because everyone has some awareness of what they are saying.
In this acting intensive I felt we focused more on intellectually analyzing the text. I do realize how important this is, but I have not mastered this skill yet.  Perhaps the intensive was not intense enough.  I have learned what the skills mean and somewhat of what the finished product of annotating and finding the best objectives and tactics for a scene and character looks like, but I do not think I am ready to do this perfectly for whatever script is thrown my way. In this way, I am excited for college to teach me more. I am satisfied with the knowledge I know now because I will soon be working to practice and work at it on a daily basis for the next four years.
            This thinking is actually similar to the way I was evidently thinking at the start of this acting class. http://vivsblogging.blogspot.com/2011/09/acting-class.html I was ready to keep working at my skill: working at my 10,000 hours. I still am ready to keep working and doubt there will be a day when I will not be able to keep working at it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment