Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Fourth Quarter Project

This quarter I will be continuing with the development of my acting but also trying something new- acting in spanish. To do this I will have to open a whole new scope of performance that I have never even attempted. It's exciting and it makes me nervous. I have already read a play, "La Casa de Bernada Alba" by Federico Garcia Lorca a Spanish playwright from the 1930's. This play deals with issues of motherhood, mother-daughter relationships and the idea of an elite status because of money. These three motifs are ones that stick out to me and relate to me the most throughout the play. In the play there is a monologue by the youngest daughter who wants to rebel against the strict reign of the mother. I think this monologue will be helpful for me not only because it is in spanish but because it is of the right age range and topic. I also want to find more influences for my work as an actress and a bilingual actress so I will be watching various plays at the Repertorio Espanol, a theatre company in the city that does plays in spanish by various playwrights from different parts of the spanish speaking world. I've only had a day to truly think about my plans for the this performance project but I think I am at a good start for what I am able and what I want to do.

1 comment:

  1. There's another Lorca play you might want to look at called "Blood Wedding." Lorca is wonderful.

    Have you seen any Pedro Almodevar movies?

    ReplyDelete