Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Acting Class

I really enjoyed today's first class; I am so grateful to go back to studying and working on acting. I really missed how good it makes me feel or rather how accomplished it makes me feel. Once I reach that state of reality, not schmActing, I feel so in place. After Luke explained his theory of acting I was still confused especially in sorting out all the previous information of acting I have had before. After further discussion the confusion in ideas cleared up. However, I need more experience in the actual practice of the theory to get a firm grasp on the method.

1 comment:

  1. I love that word Schmackting. Make sure you explain it around and remind me to use it. We're trying to learn STACTing! HAHAH!

    I want to say that I really appreciate your enthusiasm in class, and the questions you ask, which are always interesting and insightful and lead to conversations that you and I could have for hours and that only about 5 people in the room would actually be able or care to follow.

    Now, regarding my method. I profess this: I do not have one.

    Realize that ALL methods and techniques are games, tricks, deceits to trick a person into behaving normally. They are all philosophies - paths to follow to lead you to behaving like a human but on stage or in front of the camera. My whole idea is simply this: how do normal average humans, like me, like you, function, study that, and then try to do that directly. And if you really look at all I said to today, all I did today with you all, wasn't it that I mainly pointed out and reminded you of what you usually do? Drew attention to what you usually do? Ask questions like, "Isn't this what is usually in your head?"

    How can being truthful be anything else but what you usually do?

    Everything I point out is common sense and 100% obvious once you look at it.

    Now, on top of this is a layer called performance, and that is a technical thing - like speaking loudly and clearly, making sure you don't upstage people, etc., or moving your body, or mime - this is the technical stuff we layer on top.

    Do you understand all this, and how it fits together?

    ReplyDelete